Seitan (vital wheat gluten) has quickly become one of my favorite proteins/meat alternatives since switching to plant-based. It is so easy; you can make it as plain with just vegetable broth, or get as crazy with it as you want. For this recipe, I wanted to give my seitan a Tex-Mex flair so I added some enchilada sauce, taco seasoning, and other classic Tex-Mex flavors. It was the perfect filling for my enchilada casserole.
Hope you enjoy!
Serving size ~2 cups
- I cup vital wheat gluten
- ¾ vegetable broth
- ¼ enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- combine vital wheat gluten, vegetable broth, cilantro, and spices in a medium bowl. Stir together until all ingredients are combined. Take out of the bowl and knead until the mixture is firm and springy ( about two minutes.)
- Bring 6 cups water or broth to a boil. Form dough into flat pieces (the dough will get bigger) and place in the pot. Partially cover with a lid, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 45 minutes (stirring occasionally.)
- When finished cooking, place seitan nuggets on a paper towel or wire rack to cool.
- For enchilada cassorole, chop cooled seitan into bite-sized pieces.